The MCGT Homeschool Chapter is now the MCGT CHOICES Chapter!
The Homeschool Chapter of the Minnesota Council for the Gifted and Talented has been an active community for years. Families come to us because either a) they’re homeschooling and their kids’ asynchronies leave them with questions that are tough to answer in the broader homeschooling community or b) their kids’ asynchronies leave them searching for an education option beyond full-time public school.
We are pleased to announce that we have expanded our mission and our name to better reflect our population of families who are curating their children’s education. We are now the CHOICES Chapter!
Charter and Private School
Enrichment and Experiential Learning
Our new bylaws were voted in with unanimous approval on May 20, 2019 and have been posted to the Homeschool Chapter Yahoo! group.
Why the change?
We’ve seen a natural expansion over the years of how families approach education, as opportunities broaden. Families with all of their children in public school are often served very well by their local MCGT chapter. But the Homeschool Chapter is increasingly attracting other families who take a very dynamic year-by-year, sibling-by-sibling approach. They might not consider themselves homeschoolers because one or all of their children attends a school, whether it’s charter or private, part-time, community college, or online. It is time for our name to better reflect our membership.
What’s staying the same?
- We will continue to serve our families who are working to dynamically curate their children’s education outside of full-time public school, including homeschoolers.Our revised bylaws state, “The chapter’s primary aim and purpose is to provide informal support and encouragement to member families through informational, educational, and social gatherings and by connecting resources.”
- We will be keeping our same contact information for the short-term, such as our Yahoo! group name, e-mail address, and private Facebook page. Plans are in the works for updates across our (surprisingly large number of) platforms.
- We will still have our carefully-curated library of curriculum and other support materials at the MCGT office. Whether you want to try out a math program before you buy, supplement your school’s core topics, offer brain teasers as a treat, check out games to play as a family, or talk to your kids about perfectionism, we have three bookcases packed with good stuff. Member families can check out at no charge.
- We’ve changed the rhythm of how we gather. The monthly meeting on the third Monday of the month will no longer be our primary touchpoint. Instead, we’ll have a larger quarterly meeting (February, May, August, and November) with more relevant content to our families in addition to the board meeting. The board will have virtual administrative meetings every month that will be open to chapter members, but the agenda will be limited to board business rather than supporting our families.
- We have streamlined our board to five positions: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Board Member at Large.
- Each board member will be in charge of a new committee to create events and opportunities that weave together throughout the year into a tapestry of offerings for our members. Watch for new types of events this fall! This structure also creates more ways for our members to be involved in making things happen without joining the board.
- We will be reviewing our technology and communication platforms. Our desire is to improve access for both current and potential members, while not requiring use of any specific social media platforms.
How can I help?
- If you haven’t already, join MCGT and our Chapter for $40 per year. Your MCGT memberships includes one local chapter, and can either select us as your local chapter or add us as a second chapter for $18 per year.
- Come to an event and invite another family to join you.
- Volunteer to join a committee. We have board members working on technology and communication, the library, and several different types of events and gatherings.
- Support the broader gifted community by selecting MCGT as your Amazon Smile charitable organization.
- Reach out with questions and ideas.
For more information, contact [email protected]
Thanks for sharing and growing with us!
-Kelly Noah (2018-2019 President, 2019-2020 Secretary)
-Kari Molhoek (2018-2019 co-Vice President, 2019-2020 President)
-Angie Scheitel (2018-2019 co-Vice President, 2019-2020 Vice President)
-Lorri Jennings (2018-2019 Treasurer, 2019-2020 Treasurer)
-Grace Li (2018-2019 Secretary)
-Stephanie Surles (2019-2020 Board Member at Large)